Earthing the Inverter

Submitted: Monday, Sep 13, 2004 at 22:01
ThreadID: 16253 Views:3932 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I am in the phase of preparing our long trip for the coming school holidays and setting up the in-car movie theater kids. I have a Hyundai 17" LCD monitor/TV and a LG DVD player installed in our van, they are all running 240V off the inverter which drains 12V from the secondary battery. These things are working perfectly from the Modified Sine 240volts. However, one thing worried me is I was shocked slightly when I touched the metal portion of DVD player. From my experience I know it was not a 240V, it may just hte voltage difference between vehicle and the earth of the DVD player. I am wondering if I should earth the chassis of the inverter to the chassis of vehicle to prevent it from happening again. any comments are highly welcomed. Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Sep 13, 2004 at 22:12

Monday, Sep 13, 2004 at 22:12
There is an earth plug on the body of my inverter, this is for connection of an independant earth when you're running 240v stuff away from the vehicle, to make sure that there isnt a potential difference between the inverter earth and "real" earth which is the ground. In the vehicle I would connect this to the body of the vehicle for the same reason.

Ungobbeldygooked: Yes I would connect it.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 76257

Reply By: Pauly - Monday, Sep 13, 2004 at 23:18

Monday, Sep 13, 2004 at 23:18
Not sure about connecting it to the chassis but yes it does sound practicle as bonz said so there wont be a potential differnce and if there is a fault on the primary side or secondary side the protection unit has a more likely chance to work, but i wouldnt connect it to real earth cause if there was a fault with the secondary side you would be creating a potential difference as the same with a generator thats why the manufactures dont fit an R.C.D to them because it would make them more unsafe unless the actual geny has a earth steak if not the rcd wont even work maybe the same with the inverter not really sure
AnswerID: 76269

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 09:41

Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 09:41
I know on our generators they have a bolt specifically for an earth stake (mmmmmm steak).

However for an inverter the case couldn't really be for earthing to an earth stake as that would be dangerous. Who earths their inverter? I think it would be safe enough to earth your inverter to metal in your vehicle. If it was not safe they would have to supply the inverter in a plastic box I would think.

Get a multimeter and put the positive probe on to the battery and the negative to the inverter case and see what happens?

Just my thoughts.

AnswerID: 76298

Follow Up By: Member - Camper (SA) - Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 15:45

Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 15:45
Hi Utemad,
Why would earthing to an earth stake be dangerous? When I saw the earth point on my inverter seeing as it was producing 240V I earthed it to ground with a tent peg, just as house wiring is earthed.
Does this mean all my christmasses will come at once?
Camper
FollowupID: 336140

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 16:09

Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 16:09
Sorry I didn't mean that earthing it would be dangerous. I meant that if you had the outer metal casing of the inverter able to come into contact with a 240v wire inside the unit then that would be dangerous as most inverters are not earthed so if something went wrong and you touched the inverter then 'all your Christmases would come at once'.

If you have a metal appliance for example then you need the case earthed as then if the metal appliance case comes in contact with a power wire the power is earthed down the earth wire to the earth stake (tripping the earth leakage switch) and not through you. Inverters are banned on building sites becasue they are not earthed. This is also why appliances such as televisions in plastic cases do not have an earth wire or pin on their plug.

In fact I just checked my small 200w inverter with my multimeter and the earth pin on the 240v socket is not even connected to the case. So except if something went wrong inside the inverter itself, earthing the inverter case would do nothing anyway.

If you have an earth screw on your inverter then I guess yes it would need to go to a stake just in case your appliance had what I mentioned above happen.

Aslo a tent peg would not be a sufficient earth stake. It needs to go right down into moist soil. Many houses use their copper water pipes for an earth stake.

I'm not an electrician but this is what I would consider to be the case from experience in similar areas.
FollowupID: 336149

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 17:05

Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 17:05
The issue ute is about the potential from the inverter to the actual earth, not from the case to the live wires. The case is connected to the neutral of the 240v anyway so any wire toughing it would blow the inverter fuse and she's all over red rover. The earth on the case is where you are using the inverter in an earthed environment, like outside in the dirt and there is a possibility of having voltage from the earth/neutral of the inverter to the general mass of earth, also known as the dirt on which we walk
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 336155

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 21:32

Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at 21:32
Chenj3.
Does the player have an earth pin on the power plug? I suspect not, so the earth on the inverter is irelivant. A lot of the modern consumer goods use a switching power supply which is not compatible with non sineway inverters. It may be that you generated an electrostatic charge when sliding your clothes on a plastic seat. A wire from the player case to the van chassis may be the answer. Good luck. Eric.
AnswerID: 76394

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Friday, Sep 17, 2004 at 13:21

Friday, Sep 17, 2004 at 13:21
After all this I think I might have a talk to my inverter supplier or my electrician or both
Camper
AnswerID: 76804

Sponsored Links